July 18, 2014

Easy Teacher Fridge Magnets

TEN DAYS - the countdown until the first day staff must report back to school is on.  I guess I might as well get to sharing what I've been up to aside from settling into my new home, and all that goes with moving.  Here are some of the little projects that have been monopolizing my time lately!  They're not all classroom related, so I guess I'm still procrastinating on the end being near, but at least I got one project off my teacher to-do list.  You probably guessed, I'm linking up for my first-time this summer with Tara for her weekly Monday Made-It.

For the Classroom: Teacher Fridge Magnets
 Since my first year of teaching, I have always sent home magnets for parents to keep on the fridge so my contact info is easily accessible.  I was fancy and had ordered a set of business card magnets from VistaPrint during my first two years, then I discovered magnetic tape and diecuts!  So this is my 4th year making DIY teacher magnets - and my wallet is much happier!  This year I only spent $1.05 (97 cents plus tax) since I already had the rest of the supplies on hand. WOOHOO!!
 How to Make Teacher Fridge Magnets:
1. Pick a diecut your printed label will fit on (shipping labels are 2x4, this year I used address about 1x3)
2. Customize your label with your desired contact info. (name, phone number, email address, room #)
3. Print labels & attach to diecuts
4. Cut & adhere magnetic tape to backs
5. Distribute to families! :)

For Home: Vintage Mirror Turned DIY Chic Chalkboard
 One of the household DIY projects I embarked upon at the end of May was this great idea of turning an old, vintage mirror into an irresistibly, trendy chalkboard thanks to pinterest!  See it as a To Do list here. Luckily, my grandma loves antiques and she has quite a collection of vintage items so I asked, and I received a perfect vintage mirror to craft with!
A trip to Michael's for some chalkboard spray paint, and I was set!  Be sure to prepare any item that you spray with chalkboard paint by rubbing chalk on its side all over the painted surface.  Otherwise, whatever you first write on the surface may remain visible even after erasing! :/ not cute
I recommend using chalk markers vs. regular chalk since it has a bolder, more crisp look

For My Tummy: Reese's Betty Crocker Premium Cookie Bars
For just $1.00, I picked up this delicious looking item while I was at Safeway today (great price thanks to my JustForU card deals, and a 50 cent manufacturer's coupon that was doubled at the register.)  I didn't know that these cookies were a three-step process until I opened the box.  That's because I never even glanced at the back of the box, I just dropped this bad boy into the cart - no questions asked!  Anyway, if you've been meaning to try these, go ahead - they're even better than those Hershey Kiss Peanut Butter cookies I bake around Christmas time.  That's because the triple layers of sweet create a heavenly combination of melt-in-your mouth chocolate, rich peanut butter, and the crunchy crumble of a delicious cookie.  FYI these are sweeter than your normal Reese's candy!

Plan to hear from me more frequently over the next ten days - I'm sure I'll be up to more class related goodness!


10 comments:

  1. Those cookie bars look sinful. YUM!! I'm loving the owl magnets. What a great deal and I know your parents really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously thinking about doing your magnet idea instead of ordering from VP like I do every year. I like to put my class website on there. I often wonder if the magnets even make it home after Orientation. It's such a hectic day with all that paperwork. I worry it gets lost in the shuffle.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your framed chalkboard is gorgeous!! I need to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the chalkboard! I've been wanting to make on, but figured I needed a board and didn't want to go to that trouble. Now, I'll just search for old mirrors! Brilliant!
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the chalkboard, and I LOVE the idea of the die cut teacher info. Cuter and less expensive! Thanks for the idea!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that tip about prepping a chalkboard surface....thank you! Also, your teacher magnets are a great idea and so much cuter than a business card version. Thanks to your Reese's cookie bars, it's not even 6 a.m. and I'm craving a peanut butter cup.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you idea for the teacher magnets!!!

    Sami @ http://yoursmineandours2013.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have ordered the Vistaprint magnets in the past. Mine, however, we designed to be a place to hang good student work. I haven't ordered yet this year, so might try yours. Glad to find another 4th grade blogger to follow!

    Mary
    4th Works

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome ideas! Those diecuts are the CUTEST things ever! Smart idea to use those :)

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your magnets are so cute! And I LOVE your chalkboard mirror! I need to get on the ball and make one!
    Wendy
    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete